Thursday, April 17, 2008

Joey Poppat 5- Thrills of Mumbai

Naresh n me had gone to mumbai to visit Di and jijju. They took us to all the good places to visit and famous restaurants. One such restaurant was Mohun's in South mumbai. It was famous for its sea food.
We went there for lunch and asked the waiter to suggest some good items as the menu too long. The guy started suggesting some dishes and I was trying to find that dish in the menu.. primarily to see the price. I found that whatever dishes he was suggesting were very costly. I wanted to inform the same to Jijju as he was not looking in to the price and was ordering.
I felt that my brain worked super fast and a bright idea stuck me .. I told him in telugu " Veedu anni dharalu ekkuva unnave chepthunnadu" (translation: this guy is suggesting all the dishes which r costly). i framed the sentence so carefully in telugu that I made sure I did not use even a single english word.. I was proud of myself that I could think of a telugu word "Dhara" for Price.
To everybody's surprise and my shock , the waiter replied in telugu " meeku nachinavi order chesukondi madam" (translation: please order whatever u wish madam".)

My head started reeling... why on earth should a mumbai restaurant hire a telugu guy!!!!!!!!!! I never felt more embarrassed!!!

1 comment:

Anil said...

ha ha ha, that's hilarious!!!...ur "poppat" series is awesum...u should post everyday...I am sure u have many incidents to write about :)