Saturday, May 30, 2009

Painful transformation!

I think it was not very long ago when I used to say "Amma pakkinti aunty vacharu (Mom, neighbour aunty has come for you) " whenever Mom's friend's used to visit us.
Today when I tried out a new dish and thought that my experiment was a success, I wanted my friend who lives next door to also approve of my new experiment. Their calling bell was answered by my friend's 6 year old daughter. Before I could spot where my friend was, this lil one caled out for her mom. "Amma pakkinti aunty vacharu". It hit me so hard.. it was like all those sudden shock scenes in the movies.. everything coming to standstill, going black and white from colour, ocean waves crashing on to the shore, temple bells ringing vehemently.. and then I slowly came in to the present.. the reality!
There was absolutely nothing wrong in the lil one calling me aunty but may be I was not prepared for it or rather not expecting the same line that I used to say for someone else.. someone much more older :)
Now when am writing this post, I truly feel like an aunty.. I am doing everything that "Aunties" are supposed to do . Gossipping and talking for hours with friends was always there, but now the topics which we discuss have changed. Now its all about new dishes, TV serial stories, kids, home making, husbands, money, Maid servant.. .. movies .may be, TV Serials dfinitely! Exchanging dishes, lending maid servant, lending and borrowing veggies or last minute groceries, potluck lunches .. everything so so so auntyish!
I never realised when I successfully transformed in to this "aunty" phase of life from a girl who always discussed the new shade of nail polish, new restaurant down the lane, new movie that's yet to be released, hunks, other's boyfriends, shopping , fashion, new rage songs, Hrithik, Mihir virani and yeah much treasured pocket money!
But may be the best part it I loved and enjoyed my life thoroughly then and am loving it even now (Except for the aunty word) ! So how does it matter.. just till I get used to being called "Jyo Aunty" .

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always used to wonder.. why r girls not bored of talking all the time.. Got my answer now: new dishes, TV serial stories, kids, home making, husbands, money, Maid servant.. .. movies..new shade of nail polish, new restaurant down the lane, new movie that's yet to be released, hunks, other's boyfriends, shopping , fashion, new rage songs.. woww.. I didn't realize that we have soo many topics in the world to talk..

On The Move said...

Reminds me of lyrics from a song

"Do something pretty while you can.
Don't be afraid."

You are right. As long as we are enjoying life in all its different phases, how does it matter.

Chitra Shanmugam said...

Hey Joe, Congrats and All the very best.. Take Care.. - Chitra

Jyo Girl said...

Thank you!