Monday, July 2, 2012

Parenting thoughts..

Parenting can leave you stressed out, confused, nostalgic and happier all at once! Its a process which evolves you, you learn continously and you keep going back to your childhood and realize how you have been brought up.
I keep going back to my childhood to see if I could trace back a similar situation and how my mom/dad dealth with it. Not that I can apply it as is now, the kids have changed , the growing environment has changed but it only makes it a little easier for me to decide on.

I have also realized that, my parents never burdened me with the feeling that they have sacrificed a lot for me or have dedicated all their life in bringing me up and providing everything for me, and hence I need to perform better to justify all their efforts. They were never the "Always around the kid" kind of parents, but still imbibed in me the feeling that I am loved and they will protect me and will always stand by me when need be. Mom continued her studies after marriage, after kids, went on to having a successful career as a school teacher, participated in cultural activities and always led an active life. Still, we were never neglected, we were given the right amount of independence and freedom to be able to be take right decisions and be responsible for what we do, and of course there was always this case that we knew mom will get to knowof everything we do even if she is not present around us all the times!
She is my inspiration, she took motherhood as another role in her life and not her life. She did everything for us, we were well taken care of all the time but she still managed to take out time for herself, developed individuality and enjoyed her life to the fullest.

I do not want to burden Akshara harping that I sacrificed so much for you, now u better perform in your studies and justify my sacrifices. I do not want her to live in a constant pressure of performing better and making her parents happy since they did so much for her.
The challenge lies ahead of me to imbibe in her the right amount of indepence and responsibility. Tough journey ahead.. Bring it on!

No comments: