Monday, July 2, 2012

How much is too much?

It gets a little uncomfortable when people you are not very close with start sharing their most personal problems with you and there is hardly anything for you to do to help them out of their problem or even suggest them something to come out of the crisis they are in. 
I am not sure if its sheer coincidence or what, but in the past 2 weeks, I have been the agony aunt twice, once for my colleague and another time for my neighbour. Not that I share a super friendly relationship with them, but they have shared such personal problems which made me really uncomfortable.
I was sitting there confused , listening to their problems , not knowing what to say, not knowing what they were expecting out of me. May be all they wanted was some outlet to vent out their problems and feel better, but it left me all down. I do not like to hear problems to which I cannot offer any solution, it makes me feel powerless, helpless. It could be anyones problem. Their problems left me frustrated. I have enough in my plate to deal with and things like these, throw me out of my balance.
May be I am overreacting but seriously, why would I share my problems with someone whom I know will not be able to help me in any which way? Is it ok sometimes to just be there listen them out and leave it at that? The problem may be is with me, I cannot leave it at that. It continues to bother me.

N teases me that I think a lot unneccesarily and hence the grey hair, may be he is right!

No comments: