Thursday, September 22, 2011

Hopeless me Series: Part 1

Welcome to the new series of my life "The hopeless me". Just to enlighten you about how hopeless I have been through out my life but still made it through all these years.
Couple of days back I was reminded of this one incident that happened years ago and was embarrassed no end. here goes the story for you...

I was never particularly a very bright student in my life, never ever got a first rank and if I did, my dad would've got a shock attack. So, as you see the expectations were also so low from me that it never struck me to try harder to raise the bar.

In my tenth standard, there were these loads of examinations being conducted, hopes, pre hopes, term exams etc. Geography was my biggest threat. The exam usually was for 40 marks and I never got more than 18 out of 40. Sometimes lesser but never more. 18 was more or less a consistent score. I hated the subject, I didnt know why the earth was divided in to so many continents and each continent in to so many countries and why each country should have a capital. I don't care how many kinds of forests are there(I remeber 2 now tropical and rain, wow!) and I can never point out the exact location of Ganges in a blank outline of India map. I used to be so stressed out before every geography exam that my dad finally decided to help me out. Make me sit and study and explain everything. He helped me a lot, woke me up early in the morning to explain geography and made me by heart stuff. All this before a pre hope exam as far as I remember. This time I entered the exam hall more confidently thinking I was a master in geography now and gave the paper. The results were out soon. Trust me I didn't want to go home that day. I so wanted to die out of shame. I showed my answer sheet with scores to my dad, and as expected he was shocked, shocked that I scored 19 out of 40 after all the effort he put in. 1 extra mark for all the effort!!!??? He never again asked me for my geography score again :) He completely gave up on me!
Best part was I somehow managed to beat that score in the final board exam. I managed to score 82 out of 100 in social science, but I will never know how much exactly did I score in geography!

No comments: