Friday, January 17, 2014

Welcome the break!

One of my cousin who passed out of engineering in 2013, was waiting for her offer letter from the company who selected her during the campus recruitment.

It was only after a wait of 8 months that she heard from the company HR and got the joining date for March. Which is a good 11 month wait since she passed out of engineering. In these 11 months , she did something that made me jealous of her. While rest of her friends got busy, coaching for CAT/GRE/GATE/TOEFL and some even went out of city to get trained in some computer courses, she took it easy. She decided to take a break, have fun while it lasts and more importantly spend time with family. She never once succumbed to the pressure of people asking her, what she was doing or rather why she wasn't doing anything till she joined the company or even worse, if she did have any future plans at all! She was clear about what she wanted to do, and had never once given a damn to people continuously poking her.
<< people get increasingly curious when they find someone not following the routine they expect>>

Here was her plan : She learnt driving the car, went on early morning jogs, did Yoga, cooked lunch while her mom was away at work, went to library with her dad, watched movies, spent time with (available) friends, invested time in self grooming and rested ample. A total therapeutic , most welcome break. Come to think of it,  she will never ever again get such break in her life .When she joins the job, there will be leave hassles and when she gets married, moves to a different city and her life will totally change.

Me on the other hand, had the opportunity to do the same, but I didn't..my biggest regret ! I went against my dad's wishes and enrolled for GATE coaching in a different city, joined a company thereafter and never got to spend any bulk quality time with family after that. My dad wanted me to join MTech in a university in Vizag, but I thought he was being silly as that would have no value add. Little did I realize, I was going to lose 2 precious years of being at home which was exactly what dad wanted! He gave in to my demands and let me go.

Even now, when I visit home, the parting is always difficult. I keep wishing for some more days to spend at home. Even a couple of hours delay in the train departure is most welcome. Talking to mom over phone can never ever be the same as being there with her , living with her. Dad is not someone who talks much over phone, so there's not even that! I miss being pampered, being fed, getting scolded, asking permissions, begging pocket money, festival shopping, sharing college gossip with mom, late night studies along with mom.

There are always tears when I board the train at Vizag... but thank you lord for giving me a home away from home which is equally beautiful, the joys are different, my role is different. While am still the kid there at Vizag, am this grown-up here in Bangalore.




No comments: