Thursday, January 9, 2014

Make my day, Please. Thank you!

On an average, the list of activities that you do each day doesn't vary much. But still some days you feel awesome and some days are so so bad. And sometimes those small little things that others say to you make a world of difference to your day.

Unfortunately, I observe a rise in the level of insensitivity in people towards others. Speaking your mind sounds good where it is required, but a little consideration towards the other person will never hurt.
I can only speak from my personal experience.

One such incident:

I had gone to a brand new branch of a reknowned salon that was opened near our place. Every service there costs a bomb, but sometimes you just gotto give in to the temptation. :)
While I was expecting a good service and wanted to come out with a dhin chak haircut , little did I know what was in store for me.

So this lady with little eyes and deft hands attended me, and politely asked me what I was looking for. So far, so good.

Then she started running her deft hands through my hair, and said this. "You have hair fall.. " I tried to smile back and say, "yeah". Then she doesn't stop there and says, "you have grey hair". "I know" , I retorted hoping she would get the hint that am not liking it. But No! Much to my irritation, she went on. Your hair is dry, your hair is blah, bla bla .. blah bla bla .. duh!
Just at the time when I was ready to give it back to her, she says, we have products which would be good for you.. and goes on.

Lady, if you just wanted to sell your products to me, all you had to do was just show them, convince me by applying those and showing me the difference they can possibly make to my hair. You got your basics in sales and wrong and this certainly is not the right way to sell your products. You just upset me no end, and lost a possible long term customer for salon services too!

Just yesterday, one of my super sweet colleague of mine says," the dress that you are wearing, whose choice was it? It's so bright, I don't like it. " So? I mean really, do you think I should dress to your taste? If you don't like it, you don't like it. That's all to it. What is the need for me to know that you don't like it? Seriously..

What does it take to be courteous? What does it take to give it a thought before saying anything negative to the other person? If you don't like something about them, don't say it on their face, as long as its superficial and will not make much difference to them. If you really have a life changing free advice for them, word your advice carefully. At the same time, if you like something, go ahead and compliment. Don't be stingy there. You could really make someone's day.

Be Sensitive.  Be polite. Be good.

No comments: